Monday, September 19, 2005

Advice for Medical School

I was cleaning out my messages and came across an email I wrote giving advice to incoming first-year medical students on how to prepare for the rigors of medical school...I thought I should share this "wisdom"...

Best place to study: Depends who you are. Gunners can be found on the second floor of the library on the far end. Slackers at any number of Starbucks, Borders, Barnes & Noble. Those in between seem to study at home, second floor of the library just off the stairs, public libraries, other university libraries, in the dorms. Me? Well, I'm here and there...

Best instrument for dissection: If you want to impress your labmates, or eternally cast yourself out as a social pariah (depends what your lab group is like), your bare hands. This follows in the grand tradition of Dr. Allin himself, who has upheld the tradition (just watch the anatomy videos from the 60s) despite the advent of things like "scalpels" and "probes". But if you are not a traditionalist, I suggest #3 scalpels and forceps with the two little hooks on the end.

Most helpful books during first year: Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. Because we all put on a few pounds now and then. Seriously? The blue sections in Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy are priceless and Berman's histology. I was a Netter fan back in the day but Grant's has grown on me. Maybe a physio book for the uninitiated. Some say reading books like First Aid along with the sections they're studying is useful too but what do I know, I never did it...

Least helpful books during first year: The Relationship Rescue Workbook by Dr. Phil. Doesn't do a thing for you. Oh, you mean medical books? AOA Foundations. I mean, really, who is going to read that? Unless you're the Hermoine of OMM wizardry.

How did you prevent the "stink" from lab from sticking to you?: Don't go to lab. If you go, you will stink. I have double gloved, petroleum jellied (not as much fun as it sounds, I assure you) all to no avail.

Best/worst bar in the suburbs: Don't do the bar scene, wouldn't know. Though I did hear some people spent more time researching this issue first quarter than reading anatomy notes. But that's all hearsay...

Best/worst place for lunch: Safari has the best (and most filling) lunch deal you can find; it's on Roosevelt Road and I also recommend the Date and Banana Smoothie...yummy...I've been known to do Chipotle but it's too busy during lunch. The school cafeteria is actually pretty decent. Worst is any place where you can say "Super Size" and they know what you mean...

What was the biggest surprise of 1st year: All nighters for anatomy don't work. Took a couple of surprises to figure that out.

No comments: