Saturday, September 10, 2005

Caffeine fiend...

I have to be honest and retract a statement I made in one of my earlier posts about how, as a Sox fan, I prefer a cup of coffee to any tall cappucino...well, that's not really true...

See it all started with this last rotation in Peoria. Part of the deal they give visiting students down there is free food in the always-open cafeteria. Anytime, all day, as many times as you want, as much as you want. And, every day, I would see, in nice tall glass coolers, all these bottles of Starbucks Frappucino. And, while I love coffee, I can never drink it hot and always need to wait for it to cool down. This is something of an inconvenience (I know, I'm weird) especially when you only have a minute or two to scarf down breakfast in order to start on time. So one day, I gave in and decided I would try these refrigerated coffees that looked so tempting in their slick packaging and their promise of sugar, coffee, mocha and milk...

And I became hooked. I mean, I absolutely love the stuff. I could drink it all day, any time, on any pretext.

I felt bad about it. I mean, here I was, this South Sider going soft, flirting with danger. I mean, if I started drinking Frappucinos, what was next? Wearing polo shirts? Saving up to buy a Jetta? Watching Gilmore Girls?...well, actually, I do watch Gilmore Girls...for the great plots...

As it was, I started drinking Frappucinos every day and, towards the end of my rotation, even experimented with the "Double Shot" a super-caffeinated espresso (very good) and Mountain Dew's Amp (not very good, too much sugar, not enough caffeine).

So there, I've confessed (perhaps more than I wanted to). I'm still a Sox fan, but I love Frappucinos, cappucinos and pretty much anything else Starbucks makes. Heck, I would drink them at a Sox home game. And I'll take all the disapproving stares, because they just don't know what they're missing...

1 comment:

M. Imran Abd Ash-Shakur Rana said...

A few things about this post:

"and retract a statement I made in": Notice how he starts off with this, right? Was I surprised that Umar, a "Sox fan," was retracting on something? Not at all.

You will not get stares at Comiskey (US Cellular), but potential beat downs for bringing anything Starbucks-related.

Obviously, you're ruh (soul) was trying to reach out to you in Peoria (of all places!) and remind you that you're a Cubs fan at heart. Thus...Starbucks.

And finally, Caribou Coffee is waaaaay better than Starbucks. They settle for convenience whereas Caribou is concerned with quality and taste. But, oh yes, I understand now. You couldn't relate to that, Mr. Green Bay.

Dang. This was tight. I'm now immediately posting this on my blog. Man, I missed making fun of you. I can sleep in peace now. Alhamdullilah!